Saturday, December 15, 2007

Is It Over?

My daughter pointed out that I had been back for a week already (and what a week!). It's amazing to think that so much is happening around the world that you don't see if you aren't looking.

Just because you aren't paying attention to something, doesn't mean it isn't real. I have been trying to summarize my thoughts and package them into a quick and neatly wrapped gift, but I can't do it. Africa is too complex and I'm just not smart enough to articulate the scope of things.

That said, what struck me as I reflect back is an image of how western thinking and modern technology (i.e. Progress!) is slamming at warp speed into a continent and people who have no framework to understand what is happening.

Giant glass buildings being erected with wooden scaffolding.

Goats walking around the streets.

Massive poverty.

Oddities like how Ethiopian Airlines purchased the first Dreamliner for billions when many people don't have basic potable water.

I'm all about progress and technology. But what I can't figure out, is how governments and the world at large can sacrifice basic human decency for those things. How can we as a species be picking greed over humanity?

Are we?

Aren't we?

2 comments:

Nedra Weinreich said...

I enjoyed reading about your trip! I'm sure the experience will stay with you for a lifetime. Thanks for sharing and letting us come along with you virtually.

Collinsom92 said...

im somehow lost here...whats so wrong with goats walking down a street?